Thursday, March 19, 2009

Jacket on it's way!

I have done class 3 of my jacket class today. I think they thought I was a bit anal as I did so many samples before I attempted the real thing in my jacket. I am actually relieved that I am finally achieving that level of patience that I can hold out & make the samples rather than just going for it .... I made a sample last week of a double welt. This week I did a sample of a double welt with a pocket flap. Then I repeated the exercise in the fabric I am using for the jacket. When I got home from the class, then I made the made the actual pockets. So now I have a double welt pocket with flaps on each side of the jacket. There isn't actually a pocket bag behind the pocket. It is only about 1/2 inch deep. I will never use it as a pocket as I wouldn't want to spoil the line of the jacket. Plus I am a girl and I always carry a handbag!





I should probably mention that this jacket is Vogue 8124. In the pattern,the pocket is totally faux... just a sewn-on flap. I have made a double-welt with flap and I am so pleased as to my eyes it still looks better to be a 'real' welt pocket.
Next challenge - bound button-hole! I have a button chosen from my button box but as I am heading to the big smoke (Brisbane) on the week-end I will have another look for a suitable button. Then I will make the button-hole when I am certain which button I am using.
Just for your info, we are using the book 'Jackets for Real People' and it has all the the details of how to make these pockets - a real winner!

4 comments:

  1. Looks great! I have to figure out a welt with flap for a jacket I have in progress, and I just haven't had time to sit down and do a sample.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry about all the samples! It is important to make as many as necessary so that you are comfortable with the technique so they turn out right. Looks like you've done a great job so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOO HOOOOO! And good on you for doing samples - I bet you end product will be all the better for it! Looks like it's working fabulously so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your train of thought on doing samples. In the end your welt pocket looks good.

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think...